Metro   City

Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society (VHAS

Thank You! Your rating has been saved.

The oldest local historical society in New Jersey.

The Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society (VHAS) is the oldest local historical society in New Jersey, founded in 1864, just three years after Charles K. Landis established the town of Vineland. Its collections and artifacts are shared with the public at the Society's museum on South Seventh Street, one block south of the heart of Vineland's downtown shopping district.

The Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society, a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization, was established in 1864, only three years after Vineland was founded. It is New Jersey's oldest local historical society.

Since its beginning in 1864, the mission of the Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society has been to document the lives of the individuals and the events that have shaped the community from before its inception through the present day. The collections gathered by the Society over the years include books, photographs, artifacts and other records of daily life and significant events.

The impressive building represents the architecture of the Georgian style and was built specifically for the VHAS on land purchased through the generous donations of John S. Shepard, Daniel F. Morrill, and Charles K. Landis. The project was begun in 1910, completed in 1911, and overseen by VHAS Board Secretary and philanthropist, Frank D. Andrews.

Membership Benefits

Free access to the VHAS Research Library

($5.00 fee for non-members)

Complimentary copy of the annual Vineland Historic Magazine

The Quarterly Newsletter

Mailings concerning VHAS events and projects

A membership application is available by contacting the Administrator at (856) 691-1111 or emailing VHAS at

Explore Related Categories

Details and Specs

Hours of Operation: Not Listed
Notes: None Listed
Hours & Information:The Museum and Office are open from Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m. The Society’s Museum exhibits are open to the public every Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m.


Be the first to add a review for this item.

Please write a review for this item

Send a Message